Wednesday, October 21

Disappearing Socks

When I was a girl, I remember my mom getting frustrated about us taking our socks off outside, and then leaving them to lay where ever they were cast off. And of course, we never remembered where we had left them. So a day or a week, month, sometimes a whole season would pass, and then mom would find soggy, gross socks in the lawn, or in some remote corner of the buildings or fields. Usually they were beyond the point of return. "No wonder you never have any socks," she would scold. (My siblings are more guilty of this then I am... ahem...)
Anyway, I grew up and got married. Several weeks ago, after I did laundry, I discovered that my husband had only about three pairs of socks. I couldn't figure it out, because he had just bought a whole new pack of socks shortly before that. I asked him what happened to all his socks. He didn't know, but he had just bought a new pack, and he couldn't be out of socks that fast. Maybe the pack of socks had somehow gotten shoved under the bed, or stashed in the closet. I checked, but no see 'em. Was he taking his socks off in the car on the way home from work, and leaving them there? No, he didn't think so. Well. I wasn't so sure. Saturday we were working around the house, and he undertook to clean out his car. (I'm not allowed to clean out that car, which is more then fine with me!) Yes, well, soon a husband with a funny look on his face came to me and said " Um, there's a pile of socks I put on the bedroom floor..." And had they been found in the car? Yes. Aha! Now we know. And today after the laundry was folded, there was a nice pile of socks in his drawer. I even found a pair of what I am assuming are my brother-in-laws socks. How they got in the car I have no idea.
I guess socks are never cured of disappearing.

5 comments:

  1. A-hem! The dryer eats 'em. Didn't you know that? Did you look under the couch? That's where some of ours "mysteriously disappear".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only solution I found not to lose socks (and I tried many...) is a system of little fasteners you attach to your socks, then you do not lose socks anymore, and you do not lose time matching socks and so on... have a look at this website: www.sockfix.com, it works. I buy then online with a friend of mine, so that we share the postage cost, smart, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have Jenny go clean out our car..... I was just digging pretty deep this morning to find socks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabe, maybe your socks are getting old and ratty, and she throws them away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. and then my mom had a 'sock bag' for the stray socks, but since there was usually only one that showed up...we had a whole bag of 'half' pairs of socks. :-)

    ReplyDelete