Monday, October 12

A Divided State of Mind


We woke up Fri. morning to this. Evidently winter decided to send a 'practice' run. When I was a little girl, I always thought the weather had to 'practice' a few times before it snowed for real to stay all winter. But I have never before seen snow on green, yellow and red leaves. It was actually a very pretty picture along the river and lakes this morning. Only, I didn't have the camera with me. And it's just not right somehow.
My mind can't decide whether it's fall or winter. There are two distinct auras that go with each season, and having them mixed is not working.
Fall is colored leaves... rustling dry corn... orange pumpkins... blue skies... crisp yellow mornings... woodsmoke... red apples... turkey and pie... Thanksgiving..., all these say Fall.
The first snow says Wintertime! Christmas is almost here... carols... hot chocolate... gingerbread... green pines covered in white... red candles... sticky pine cones... a snapping fire... cinnamon rolls... angels telling the humble shepherds of the Child in the manger.
So, with colored leaves on the green grass in my lawn, and white snow clinging in the pine trees at the same time, well, somehow it's messing with my mind. I can't do both, it's just not meant to be that way!
Ah, well...

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, my dear. And I agree, it's weird, but rather delightful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for Charlotte!!! You did it! You did it! And I enjoyed your ramblings!:) I wish I could ramble that well!
    My boys are sick here and it's gray and morbid down here. The corn is still in the fields and the bright blue sky is not around...so we're having strange fall too.
    Can't wait to read your next ramble and see Clarks latest picture....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, I loved reading your blogs and Clark's pictures are really beautiful. when I want to have a picture framed up for my living room, can I ask you for one of those pictures? I'll be back. Evie

    ReplyDelete