Tuesday, November 29

Atmosphere

Cabin atmosphere
      I was sitting in my house Saturday evening after we got home from the cabin when something suddenly occurred to me. I realized I had the same feeling about being home that I had had at the cabin all weekend. Which got me to thinking about atmosphere and what kind we create. And maybe part of my feeling at home in either place has to do with my MIL and I having a similar style at decorating. But anyway...
    The other week Clark and I were on a date and went to eat out at Perkins. Now, the walls were painted a cozy color, and the decorating was nice, and even the lighting was nice. But, the music was jazzy and the two TV's on the wall certainly did not help. Atmosphere? Yes, I suppose. What I want when I'm on a date with my man? Nope.

    I like clean and uncluttered, but still homey (as in perhaps knowing it's clean under the clutter). It helps my state of mind. When the kitchen is piled with dishes, I do not get the feeling of a peaceful atmosphere. Right now, neither the laundry corner, nor the chest of drawers in my bedroom give me the impression of an uncluttered state of mind. And the back room certainly doesn't give anyone the impression of peaceful and uncluttered.
     But I think that atmosphere can also rise above environment. On Sat. eve. the table was piled with odds and ends, and the floor was covered with books and toys. Yet there was still a warm and cozy and peaceful atmosphere. I think that the attitude we show in our homemaking, is a reflection of our internal life. If I am content inside, my home likely will reflect that. If there is turmoil or busyness, my home often reflects that as well.  On the flip side, I can have ever so cozy and homey of an environment, and if there is disagreement and bickering, the atmosphere is decidedly not peaceful.
   What kind of atmosphere are we women creating in our homes? A place of peace and rest at the end of the day? Or constant hustle and bustle and busyness?

2 comments: