Friday, April 16

To Bug Clark and Gabe....

A church along I-80 in NE. I've always liked this church, and have wanted to get a picture of it ever since I saw it the first time. So when we were coming home Monday, I grabbed the camera. I'm rather proud of how it turned out, can you tell? I took this riding in a car going 80 mph. It was taken through a window. I didn't really know what I was doing. No, I don't know what ISO I used. No, I don't know what aperture it is. No, I don't know what kind of camera I used. No I don't know anything about the lens other then that it was automatic. No, I don't know what the zoom was set at. Actually, I didn't use a zoom at all. The top picture is cropped from the original, which appears below (see, I show my mistakes instead of pretending they didn't happen). And Clark says the cropped picture could still be blown up to a 11x16. I just set the camera to continuous shoot and held the trigger. I do know that the lighting is kind of harsh, but beggars can't be choosers, esp. not at 9:30 am. Anyway, this goes to show that anyone can take a good picture without knowing anything at all about ISO's and apertures and other way-over-my-head techie terms that certain people throw around all the time. Sometimes, something will just have an emotion with out all the other stuff (no, I guess I won't ponder the emotion of this picture right here right now). So, there you have it!

Btw, these pictures are copyrighted.

8 comments:

  1. Giggle. Me, too. We tramped down to the bridge last night carrying my camera and tripod. I wanted to capture the three sets of hooded mergansers, the blue herons, and the Canadian geese we had seen two evenings ago. While we were arriving and settling into our typical Graber frozen stances the blue heron flew out from under the bridge. He whooshed flapping pretty well under our noses and glided all the way down to the other end of our scape to stand a million yards away silently grinning at us the whole time. While I was working frantically to get my camera set up a fat beaver pulled himself up out of the water on the other bank until just as I was ready to shoot him, then slid off into the water again and followed the heron to play too far away. Three otters came round the bend in the river and played just out of reach and finally disappeared. Wait...Brad spotted the three little scamps crossing the road above us headed for the lake on the other side. No geese, no mergansers...nothing to take a picture of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title does beg a response and so with out further ado I will do so. Possibly falling into some sort of trap that has been set by my dear and loving wife, but I will bite. The cropped photo is still very clear and of good quality. Also I will have you to know this was not only cropped, but a select picture out of a series of them. She simply held the shutter and it took pictures at a rate of 4/second. I had to show her how to set it to that. I also had to show her how to change the lens. I guess it just goes to show that people take pictures and it isn't so much the camera. (I'd still like to know what possessed it to focus through the windows like that......)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: My wife says that she didn't change the lens for that. (I did have to show her how to change it earlier!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, knowing just where that church is, I know that in order to take that picture you were turned around in your seat shooting out the left rear passenger window, past either Amy or Frances, and across westbound traffic (which fortunately didn't happen to cross into your picture). It just goes to show that either luck or providence sometimes intervenes to make up for a lack of skill and produce a fixable snapshot..... :P ~GB

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Now that you got the response you wanted, let me congratulate you on the nice picture. Which by the way would never have possibly been taken with your husbands old camera (in case you don't think ISO, apertures, and shutter speeds (as well as cameras who know how to use them correctly) are important. ~GB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do realize the camera had a part to play in taking this shot, but I was still impressed. Actually I was disappointed when I got done and discovered that I had forgotten to use the zoom. I thought I didn't have anythng worth keeping, but Clark was sure that we could crop something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey Charlotte i like it! coloring and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WEll WELL WELL you know Charlotte THAT is a Great pic :) out of the say 500 easy 500 pics iv taken doing 70 mph only about 10 have turned out like i wanted them to SOO can u share your luck with me :) i need it lol :)( BUT Good shot And cookies to the ppl getting out of your way for the shot :)

    ReplyDelete