Thursday, December 23

How My Good Intentions Died

     When I became a Mom, I had all kinds of good intentions. I still have quite a few, but sad to say, I think they are going to leave, one by one.
     One of my Very Good Intentions, was that I was never going to feed my baby that powdered cereal stuff out of a box. I didn't see how it could be healthy, and I wanted his first experience of real food to be good, solid nutrition. I had visions of introducing him to mashed banana, or pureed oatmeal or rice when he was six months old or so.
   Well, I was moaning to my mother-in-law about his awful sleeping habits, and how I struggled to get him to settle for the night. "It sounds like a meat and potatoes issue to me," she said. "He wants more than what you are giving him. Get a box of baby cereal, and mix up a tablespoon or so before bedtime. It'll settle in his stomach and give him something to digest. I know it's cardboard, but it works, and a little bit like that won't hurt him. My mom gave it to her babies at six weeks."  I was desperate enough for advice, but at the same time I resisted the Idea slightly. After all, he's not THAT old yet, I told myself. Surely I can still satisfy him. I don't want to lose my baby that fast. But the more I thought about it, it seemed like a solution. After all, if it didn't work, I didn't have anything to lose, besides my sleep, and maybe my sanity. And I didn't think that mashed banana or real rice or oatmeal was going to work in a three month old tummy.
     So I swallowed my good intentions, and my pride,  and bought a box of cereal the next time we were in town. It sat in my cupboard for a few days while I tried to convince my self that feeding him cereal was a good thing, after all we do want our children to grow up and be independant of us. Just maybe not at three months old.
Shoveling it in.
      I fed it to him for the first time Saturday evening. The first spoonful was tentatively tasted. The next spoonful was eagerly swallowed. You've heard the expression "...Dove into his food."  That's the most accurate expression for the spoonfuls after that. He grabbed the spoon and tried to help me shovel it in. Both little hands got thoroughly involved in the process. It didn't make much difference in his sleep and eating habits through the night the first time. The next night I did it again, except fed a little more. He scarfed that down as well. He went to sleep better, but still woke up about three times to eat. By now I was feeling sort of like a guilty mom, because obviously he hadn't been totally satisfied, and was likely a little hungry.
More, Mom More.!!
      The nights since have ranged from mediocre, to fairly satisfactory. One night he refused to eat it, so I didn't force him. He had a tummy-ache later, which explained the non-interest that night. It hasn't really made a difference in how often he is awake at night to nurse. Which I suppose some people would say because the cereal doesn't contain anything anyway, and doesn't make a difference. It makes a difference in his level of contentment. I think he just needs a little extra boost every now and then.
Good stuff.  Real good stuff!! Yummy!!
     I dreamed the first night after the cereal that my baby had suddenly grew into a much bigger baby from the cereal. I was relieved the next morning when I woke up and he was still that same small size. I still had my little boy, even if he does have to eat food independently of me.
     So that was the death of My Good Intention. We are both happier for it. Sometimes you have to do what's best and what works, even if the "experts" tell you otherwise.  I wonder which Very Good Intention will die next?
I'm happy now!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's what children do best...rewrite our good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea. Are you using rice or oat cereal? I'll be trying that as soon as I lose much more sleep too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm using rice at this point. I wonder if oat would be heavier though.

    ReplyDelete